Trouble with docker install process

I’ve been using guide at Installing in Docker - Akkoma Documentation with Ubuntu 22.10 but have gotten stuck and am unsure how the generate the instance. After installing docker compose, I’ve had to adjust the scripts in /docker-resources to use docker compose instead of docker-compose . I’ve been running the scripts with sudo but running sudo ./docker-resources/manage.sh mix pleroma.instance gen does not seem to actually result in any questions or the instance being generated:

karolat@vm:~/repos/akkoma$ sudo ./docker-resources/manage.sh mix pleroma.instance gen
[+] Running 1/0
 ✔ Container akkoma-db-1  Running                                                                       0.0s
warning: `config/prod.secret.exs` not found. You may want to create one by running `mix pleroma.instance gen`

==> poison
Compiling 4 files (.ex)
warning: use Bitwise is deprecated. import Bitwise instead
  lib/poison/encoder.ex:112: Poison.Encoder.BitString

lib/poison/parser.ex:65: Poison.Parser

Compiling lib/poison/parser.ex (it's taking more than 10s)
karolat@vm:~/repos/akkoma$

Anyone know what I’m doing wrong?

Docker-compose is separate from the docker command. You’ll need to install both if you haven’t done that. And also run the scripts as they originally came

I did, I used the instructions here: Install the Compose plugin | Docker Documentation. But since it’s the plugin instead of the standalone version that comes with docker desktop, I run it with docker compose instead of docker-compose , so I modified the scripts to do that before running them since they wouldn’t work otherwise

I’m not super sure about the compose plugin, but a quick search shows that maybe all of those flags aren’t compatible between both docker compose and docker-compose…

Compose V2 and the new docker compose command
    Important
    The new Compose V2, 
which supports the compose command as part of the Docker CLI, is now available.

Compose V2 integrates compose functions into the Docker platform, 
continuing to support most of the previous docker-compose features and flags. 
You can run Compose V2 by replacing the hyphen (-) with a space, 
using docker compose, instead of docker-compose.

As a test for an issue I was having, I ran a newinstall using the instructions here:
https://docs.akkoma.dev/stable/installation/docker_en/

And it worked as expected.

I notice you’re running these commands with sudo as well, this was part of my problem, as the permissions were not quite right between the user I did the git pull with and the sudo user running the commands. If you didn’t sudo git pull, you might want to try running those without the sudo as well.

I tried rebuilding the server and this time adding my user to the docker group so I didn’t have to run any commands as sudo, and the result is the same once I get to the last command–it doesn’t seem to generate the config:

karolat@vm:~/repos/akkoma$ docker compose run --rm akkoma mix pleroma.instance gen
[+] Running 1/0
 ✔ Container akkoma-db-1  Running                                                   0.0s
warning: `config/prod.secret.exs` not found. You may want to create one by running `mix pleroma.instance gen`

==> poison
Compiling 4 files (.ex)
  lib/poison/encoder.ex:112: Poison.Encoder.BitString

lib/poison/parser.ex:65: Poison.Parser

karolat@vm:~/repos/akkoma

i’m really not sure what i could be doing wrong. maybe our environments are somehow different? did you try this from a newly installed system?

posting my whole history in case it can help:

1  sudo whoami
    2  cd ~
    3  ls
    4  sudo apt-get update
    5  sudo apt-get install     ca-certificates     curl     gnupg
    6  sudo install -m 0755 -d /etc/apt/keyrings
    7  curl -fsSL https://download.docker.com/linux/ubuntu/gpg | sudo gpg --dearmor -o /etc/apt/keyrings/docker.gpg
    8  sudo chmod a+r /etc/apt/keyrings/docker.gpg
    9  cd re
   10  mkdir repos
   11  cd repos/
   12  echo   "deb [arch="$(dpkg --print-architecture)" signed-by=/etc/apt/keyrings/docker.gpg] https://download.docker.com/linux/ubuntu \
   13    "$(. /etc/os-release && echo "$VERSION_CODENAME")" stable" |   sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/docker.list > /dev/null
   14  sudo apt-get update
   15  sudo apt-get install docker-ce docker-ce-cli containerd.io docker-buildx-plugin docker-compose-plugin
   16  sudo reboot
   17  docker run hello-world
   18  sudo apt-get update
   19  sudo apt-get install docker-compose-plugin
   20  docker compose version
   21  cd ~/repos/
   22  git clone https://akkoma.dev/AkkomaGang/akkoma.git -b stable
   23  cd akkoma
   24  cp docker-resources/env.example .env
   25  echo "DOCKER_USER=$(id -u):$(id -g)" >> .env
   26  docker compose build --build-arg UID=$(id -u) --build-arg GID=$(id -g) akkoma
   27  docker compose build --build-arg UID=$(id -u) --build-arg GID=$(id -g) db
   28  mkdir pgdata
   29  docker compose run --rm akkoma mix deps.get
   30  docker compose run --rm akkoma mix compile
   31  docker compose run --rm akkoma mix pleroma.instance gen

Not a new install. But really, the only difference here is that I’m running the docker-compose commands instead of the docker compose plugin.

It turns out I just didn’t have enough RAM. mix instance.gen needs more then 1 gig or it’ll just quit