Stopping service before pg_dump

Hi,
I want to make my backups more regularly but according to the doc, it is recommended to stop akkoma service before running pg_dump.

According to the man of postgesql :

pg_dump is a utility for backing up a PostgreSQL database. It makes consistent backups even if the database is being used concurrently. pg_dump does not block other users accessing the database (readers or writers).

So, is there another reason to stop the service ? I really want to be able to shitpost mindlessly without being forced to stop my doomscroll on fedi at 4am.

I’m just curious :dotted_line_face:

I don’t know of a specific reason. That part has been in the docs for a long long time[1]. Maybe this wasn’t always safe to do, or maybe the person who once wrote it just thought it was sane advise, idk. I guess it can cause extra load, but if the postgresql docs for your version say it’s safe, I guess you can always try and see what happens.

[1] Following git blame, I see it was added in 2019, and even then it was copied from the docs who were at a different location at the time, see Move out of Gitlab Wiki · dfae0050af - akkoma - Akkoma Development

1 Like

thank you so much ! I’ll try to do my backups without restarting, I’ll try to tell here if it worked great or not haha

1 Like

I’ve personally not had any issues with doing live backups with pg_dump with Akkoma or even Pleroma when I ran an instance a while ago.

2 Likes