Currently running Elasticsearch, which is pretty fast and accurate. Great for looking up hashtags, or simple full text search. Very happy with the implementaion.
I’m intriged by Meilisearch - Some question:
Docs stated 4-5GB of RAM usage for 1.2 mil posts. Does RAM usage scale linearly with number of posts, or is it tunable?
- Does Meilisearch return results sorted by relevancy or by time?
- Is it noticibly faster than Elastic?
- Last time I looked there was no way to really tune or limit RAM use, if their github is anything to go by. The only thing I really noticed was that you could limit the index size, and the maximum memory to use when indexing.
- Results on my instance are returned by time, by default. You can adjust this with the
rankingRules, as per their documentation.
- In my experience it is on average quicker to return results with popular topics loading in under a second. Most other searches feel nearly immediate.
I installed both side by side and disabled elasticsearch when I wanted to test meilisearch. It fit my needs so much better that I never turned es back on. I think that if you have a need to tune/limit RAM use, es might still be the better option.