Confusion over bubble timelines

I’m a bit confused about how bubble timelines work. They are just a filter on the federated (known network) timeline, right?

But if I want to actually get the posts from other instances (e.g. to do hashtag following) I’ll need to use a relay?

Then a relay can be something like FediBuzz. But I remember something about Pleroma/Akkoma instances having a built in relay that distributes the local timeline? How does one subscribe to that, and does it work with Mastodon instances?

Thank you!

1 Like

They are just a filter on the federated (known network) timeline, right?

Basically, yes

But if I want to actually get the posts from other instances (e.g. to do hashtag following) I’ll need to use a relay?

If you want all their public posts and not just what you get through normal follows, yes. But not all instances will have that. Whether or not they relay messages like that, is up to them.

Then a relay can be something like FediBuzz

FediBuzz is a relay. A relay is just a service that relays messages (i.e. it knows of certain messages and decides to tell others about them so now those others also know about these messages).

But I remember something about Pleroma/Akkoma instances having a built in relay that distributes the local timeline? How does one subscribe to that, and does it work with Mastodon instances?

Yes, if an *oma instance has their relay enabled, you can have your instance follow it. The endpoint should be https://example.org/relay, see Managing relays - Akkoma Documentation on how to manage them. I have no idea of compatibility with Mastodon. Iirc Mastodon relays work slightly different, but I’m not really sure.

4 Likes

Thank you so much, ilja!

2 Likes