Any suggestions for an RSS bot that will work with Akkoma?

So there this Feed2Toot, which parses a RSS feed, extracts the last entries and sends them to your feed.

I have been tinkering with it but haven’t been able to get it to work for Akkoma/Pleroma. The part where it says says to Create credentials for Mastodon is where I’m lost and I can’t go further.

Any suggestions? Asking if there’s any I’ve missed out on? Or any pointers on how I could get Feed2Toot to work with Akkoma?

You might be able to use the value in the __Host-pleroma_key cookie you can see when you’re logged in a browser session? I’m not sure.

I found something that might work to let you generate the Oauth2 token which should also work. GitHub - prplecake/pleroma-access-token: Helps generate an access token, client id, and client secret for all that API fun.

There is a live site, but if you don’t want to use that, the sources are at the above link.

I came here to ask about RSS feeders like this. I’m wondering if Akkoma’s architecture has a natural way to host a “pull” that polls an external source for statuses.

If it does, I’m gonna have to learn Elixir…

I am using feediverse · PyPI which seems to work so far.
There is also a fork, which i haven’t tried yet though: GitHub - xopez/better_feediverse: Send RSS/Atom feeds to Mastodon

2 Likes

This looks very cool. Has anyone tried setting it up so that it only posts to the local timeline? I don’t like the idea of spamming everyone with RSS feeds. I am not sure but I think this might mean modifying mastodon.py? Tips welcome if anyone has already done this.

If you are the admin of your instance, you can just moderate the user via the Admin-FE:
Choose the option “Force posts to be unlisted” from the dropdown.
20221209_19h29m28s_grim

The user profile settings also allow to set a default post visibility, but i do not know, if this is only for the web frontend, or if it will affect posts via the api.
If you want to try this first, i would like to hear, whether this works, or if admin intervention necessary .

1 Like

Thanks! Setting the post visibility to local in the user profile settings seems to have worked. There doesn’t appear to be an admin setting to force posts to be local.

1 Like

@django What needs to be entered for following (red arrow) prompts?

• What is your app’s client id:
  • What is your client secret:

Do we need to go about generating it via Admin-FE? Could you please share how we do do that?

why did you enter ‘y’ if you evidently do not have your app’s credentials

1 Like

@FloatingGhost Because there are other scripts that take your Fediverse username as the ID.

Nevertheless, found it.

@django Is there a way to achieve what @NewsBot@assortedflotsam.com does? Fetch the RSS from multiple outlets?

have you looked at the config file? It should be YAML and the entry “feeds” looks like an array.
I haven’t tried it, but i assume just adding more items may yield the desired result.

Yes it’s just a YAML array - I have a number of different feeds in my config.

1 Like