Akkoma stable 2022.12 - automatic static

tell me… for what do you query? incorrect glibc version.

it’s december! and the second saturday of december at that, which means it’s 2022.12 time. let’s make like chris pratt and a-go

New stuff

The headlines (yes, headlines, there’s a lot this month) are:

A static FE that doesn’t corrode your eyeballs

static fe… a feature that was more or less abandoned back in ye olde pleroma days, has receieved what can only be termed the face-lift of a lifetime

no longer is it basically unstyled and monotone, but it looks like this now:

check out otp.akkoma.dev for a live demo

Hashtag following

you guys really want to follow hashtags, huh?

well now you can hooray hooray

hashtags will now have a little “+” icon in the top right, which if clicked, will cause you to follow the hashtag, and all public posts made to it will appear in your home timeline

this is 100% compatible with mastodon’s API, so apps like tusky and others that have this functionality will work just fine

Automatic post deletion, per user!

akkoma already had the ability to set automatic post deletion server-wide, but never per-user. well, now it does!

simply navigate to your profile settings, and you can set the number of days after which to automatically delete your posts.

if you run this alongside the server-side MRF, whichever expiry comes first will be applied.

Automatic database maintenance

akkoma (as pleroma before it) gathers a lot of… nonsensical activities as time goes on. delete messages for posts that have been deleted, rejected follow requests, and so on

these is now an automatic task to remove these activities after 30 days (which provides ample time to act on them, if we needed to)

Pleroma-FE is now a progressive web app!

meaning you can install the site directly to your phone!

cool, huh?

in practice this mostly means that it’ll go full-screen

Changelog

As ever, see akkoma/CHANGELOG.md at develop - akkoma - Akkoma Development for a full list of changes

Upgrading

Is as ever

From source

sudo systemctl stop akkoma
git pull
git checkout $(git tag -l | grep -v 'rc[0-9]*$' | sort -V | tail -n 1)
MIX_ENV=prod mix deps.get
MIX_ENV=prod mix compile
MIX_ENV=prod mix ecto.migrate
MIX_ENV=prod mix pleroma.frontend install pleroma-fe --ref stable
sudo systemctl start akkoma

!! there have been breaking changes in the backend since the release of 2022.12. if you are on the develop branch, use develop frontend refs.

but ideally you should be on the stable branch

OTP

./bin/pleroma_ctl update --branch stable
./bin/pleroma stop # or systemctl stop
./bin/pleroma_ctl migrate
./bin/pleroma daemon # or systemctl start
./bin/pleroma_ctl frontend install pleroma-fe --ref stable

See the changelog for any post-upgrade steps

Thankies

oh my quite the list this month. i might have to stop doing these soon because the list is getting too long :aa:

thankies go out to:

• beefox for fixing a bunch of little annoying bugs in the frontend
  • mergan for the above and also doing a bunch of triage on new issues on fe issues - it helps a lot!
  • sfr for the entire static FE upgrade. how is your sanity still in tact after handling that stuff?
  • darkkirb, Karl Prieb , astra akari for misc bugfixes on the FE
  • r3g_5z for looking over all sorts of default configs and making the config closer to recommended settings
  • ilja for bugfixes to MRFs, and for looking into some of the deep dark parts of the software
  • norm again for doc fixes

there’s probably more, but there are so many of you now that collating is proving difficult

if you’re not here, thanks goes out to you as well!

News

and a couple of non-feature-related headlines for you lot

there will not be a 2023.01 release, since i will be off with family over christmas, and that’ll leave very little time to get things ready for january - hence, next release will be 2023.02. also, contributors: take some time off yourselves, you all deserve it

also, the akkoma network™ now stands at 360 nodes. which is absolutely insane.

also there’s a logo now. yes it looks like an amogus. this is partially to issue a challenge to you to replace it :evil:

have a nice end of the year everyone~
see you in the next

6 Likes

For OTP installs, is there a syntax to run the database prune manually in the foreground, since mix isn’t necessarily available? I’m probably fine with waiting for it to run on schedule if not . . . :slight_smile:

you almost certainly don’t need to run it in the foreground unless you’re a really old instance (even ihba, 4 years old, happily exited within the timeout)

however, for completeness, see the OTP tab here
https://docs.akkoma.dev/stable/administration/CLI_tasks/database/#pruning-old-activities

3 Likes

I’m even more impressed that the docs are already up to date with the new features!!

2 Likes

i love akkomungus! the perfect new logo

THANK YOU SO MUCH! Holy cow. Will be taking a snapshot and upgrading shortly.

1 Like

How do we see and manage followed hashtags? Anyone?

1 Like

Thank you for all the wonderful work!

Akkoma feels like it’s revitalized the entire fediverse experience for me and made it so much more fun to use.

Does the automated post deletion let you ‘spare’ a post by self-favoriting it or similar?

2 Likes

nah not currently, post deletion is absolute

this is just a first iteration though, so there’s no reason that couldn’t be added in a future release if people would use it

2 Likes

Hey. Do away with the Mastodon(ish) purple. Identity. Identity…!! :slightly_smiling_face:

if you search the hashtag again, you can click the [-] to unfollow it.

All I found, not sure you can see a list.

What’s the recommended way to upgrade the docker images?
Usually all I need to do is to run docker-compose --rmi all, docker-compose up
With Akkoma I thought I have to run

1. git pull
  2. docker-compose --rmi all
  3. docker-compose up

Unfortunately I am now stuck with the docker image crashing because dependencies are out of date. Because it’s crashing I can’t connect via docker exec to manually run the mix deps.get command.

Hence I tried to add the MIX_ENV=prod mix deps.get line to the Dockerfile but somehow it won’t compile.
Anyone able to share the correct way to upgrade?

https://docs.akkoma.dev/stable/installation/docker_en/#updating-docker-installs

1 Like

Thank all for this awesome release! Merry Christmas :christmas_tree:

is there a way to customize the manifest file for the PWA?