A list of features I wish Mastodon had. Does akkoma offer any of them?

• Trending hashtags
  • I think opt-in algorithmic/viral design would be nice. Sometimes I like having an algorithm tell me what posts I might be interested in.
  • To discover people users could be classified according to the hashtags they use and then you choose some interests and disinterests and get recommended people from all federated instances.
  • Searching on all federated instances
  • Make notifications easier to read. Just say “x and 30 others favourited your toot” instead of 31 seperate notifications.

i find it mildly amusing that these swing wildly between trending hashtags which would be a few days effort, and a suggestion algorithm for which i’d need a research team and £5million

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure 90% of Fediverse does NOT want this. Twitter exists if you want that.

1 Like

to respond to each in turn:

Trending hashtags

possible, though would require more stats processing

I think opt-in algorithmic/viral design would be nice.

not something we can realistically do

users could be classified according to the hashtags they use

would require a bunch more processing on recieve, this would be incredibly low priority - “classify” would imply tracking every hashtag the user used, which might be annoying

Searching on all federated instances

what does this mean? we already have search, but we cannot (nor would we want to) ask other instances to search

Make notifications easier to read.

this would require a total rework of how the notification processor works, possible, but a bit piece of work

2 Likes
  • Trending hashtags

• I think opt-in algorithmic/viral design would be nice. Sometimes I like having an algorithm tell me what posts I might be interested in.

• To discover people users could be classified according to the hashtags they use and then you choose some interests and disinterests and get recommended people from all federated instances.

Not a direct answer to the question, but much of this is going to be limited by the fact that the Fediverse is by design without a central authority. There will likely be continued pushback from the Fediverse at-large against machine-controlled-algorithms, especially since it further removes control from individuals as well as instance admins. One which I think would be a great thing if it caught on a lot more is “Hash-tag” relays.

https://hashtag-relay.dtp-mstdn.jp/
The site is in Japanese, but the important thing about that fork is the developer only relays posts with hashtags in them. This helps keep the traffic lower as well as provide a more “useful” federated feed with hashtags to search on.

I read through that some and I would have to agree with the initial responses. It would be like asking your friends "Does anyone have any cat pictures? " and expecting a reply back from the entire population of the internet. You can only search what you know about and since no one place can know about everything, by design, I don’t think this can happen in any kind of meaningful way. There are also lots of issues with how visibility should work since many instances block each other, but are still federated with other instances.

• Make notifications easier to read. Just say “x and 30 others favourited your toot” instead of 31 seperate notifications.

I can see how this would be nice for sure. There are a few little tweaks you can to reduce this a bit, but I don’t know of anything that does this. You can temporarily disable notifications for certain types, but that’s not what you’re asking for.

1 Like